Monday, November 8, 2010

Ignoring Intuition

I don't know the exact quote. There may not be one; there may be many. The gist of it all is that a woman's intuition is something to behold and not to be ignored. It's no wives' tale about a woman's intuition. It's a gift given to us by God. Where am I going with all of this? Well, a weekly writing is what.
Describe a moment when you ignored your intuition. What happened.

There are many times when I ignored my intuition, but I think the biggest happened my senior year of high school when I let my guidance counselor convince me that going to a state school would not be good for me and that I should go to a private school. I planned on going to a school I could afford. I went to a school that started me on this downward spiral of student loans and bad decisions about majors and classes.

I know that I can't play the what-if game because there are so many good things on the outside of the mess I got myself in that I wouldn't want to change those. But, I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't have made that one choice under pressure if I wouldn't at least just broke instead of broke broke broke.

I know that one day things will be better. It may be The Day, but it's coming.

**Please note that I am not considering the guidance of the Holy Spirit lesser than what is called intuition. Is it possible that the Spirit has given women extra sensitivity to help fine tune decision-making?**

***Addendum 11-12-2010: The more I research getting out of debt, the more I feel like a loser. I really did myself a disservice with ignoring my gut, intuition, whatever. Men and women alike shouldn't ignore that gut feeling. I'm not advocating relying completely on it because we're human and generally stupid. At least, I am. I say rely fully on the Holy Spirit.
Mama's Losin' It

5 comments:

Grace @ Arms Wide Open said...

i wrote about a womans intuition too for this prompt. it is a powerful thing and when ignored can really spiral us into the hole of regret!
sorry about your loans...i went the private school route too and do sort of regret it. it's silly to accumulate so much debt. thank God mine is now paid off thanks to help from my grandmother, hope the same for you soon!

Emily said...

I think a lot of us never feel 100% certain about the choice we make to go to a college. So sorry you felt you made such a bad decision about where you went to school.

raine said...

i wish i had taken picking out a school more seriously. i like my college but ill never be happy with my major

ElizOF said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I enjoyed this topic and agree with you that there is something to be said about women's intuition and listening to self. The good thing is that we both learned from our experience and are the better for it. :-)
Best,
Elizabeth

Jennifer C. said...

Thanks for stopping by.

It all is silly-- the piling debt. I realize it now. I didn't back right before the market went bust.

I know it will all work itself out in the end.