Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What would you give up?

My good friend, Day, recently posted a blog that made me want to steal her idea. So, I did. Her post starts out:
I've thought a lot about the question, "What would you give up in order for someone to know Christ?" Ideally, we'd all answer, "Everything." That's easy enough to say out loud (or in your head), but when you get down to naming things in particular, it gets really hard. I did this once while I was in Germany, and it really makes your wheels turn. Here are a few things that I'd be willing to give up if it meant that someone would come to know my Savior. Some may seem silly--but they're all things that, in the end, are very close to me.

Some simple things like:

  • Wallace BBQ and Chick-fil-A

  • Chocolate

  • Brewed tea

  • Coffee

  • Internet

  • The Braves

  • My pets


Some not so simple things like:

  • Music

  • My hearing

  • The ability to speak my heart language or understand anyone

  • The chance to see my family and friends

  • My comforts

  • My culture

  • My perceived happiness

  • My pride

  • ...and ultimately my life.


I have given up some of these things, and I know people who have given up even more. If you have a list like this, you know how hard it is even if you are exactly where God has sent you. Almost everyday, I am faced with the conflict of sitting pretty in my air-conditioned house with my comparatively small struggles and completely depending on God and His Word.

I have to remember that we are called everyday to make disciples at the cost of my life no matter what that actually looks like.

What would you give up to see someone come to Christ? What have you given up? Do you know someone who has paid the ultimate price to see someone or a group come to know Christ?

Remember to pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters.

4 comments:

Day said...

It's so tough to sit there and write those things, isn't it? Thanks for giving me a shout, btw :) miss you!

Jason Martin said...

Love this blog Jennifer. Really good stuff.

Jennifer C. said...

Thanks, Pastor J. Writing is such a passion, and I am honored that God allows me to reach people this way.

Jennifer C. said...

It sure does make sense! I don't know if I would be so willing if I didn't know someone would be saved as a result of my death. It would make it that much harder. It's a lot easier to say it on paper or blogper (?). Sometimes I really feel it, and sometimes I don't. I should have put an aside that I'm not better than Peter when it comes to making bold claims like that.